Thursday 7 July 2011

My Walsall Trip (Cross Country trains and Premier Inn Walsall Reviews)


WALSALL TRIP


Last Monday, I was travelling down from Sunderland to Walsall with my personal assistance for a meeting in Lifeways Office. Since I am one of the members for Lifeways Quality Focus Group, I have to travel to different cities or towns quarterly.





My previous trip to Walsall was not really a good one I have to say. So, I was a bit hesistated about my trip down to Walsall this time. Everything for my trip was planned by Lifeways Office in Walsall which included my overnight stay in Premier Inn, my meals, taxis and also my return trains.

I started my journey from home around half past twelve by taxi to Newcastle Central station. My journey to Walsall was a long long one. First we had to take the train from Newcastle to Birmingham New Street then we changed to another train to Walsall. The whole journey took us nearly three and a half hours. I have to say that it was quite tiring journey.

We were in coach F on the Cross Country train where I was allocated with a disabled seat. However, I had to transfer to another coach after I had a difficulties using the disabled toilet nearby because it was out of order. The officer onboard was kind enough to move us to FIRST CLASS since disabled seats in other coaches were fully booked. The first class seat was quite comfortable with plenty of legroom.



Arriving to Birmingham New Street Station was a nightmare. The train station was dark, really packed and quite smoky. We were there for a short transit and took another train to Walsall after 5 minutes. As a wheelchair user, I would recommend other wheelchair users to give themselves plently of time for transit in that station because travelling from one platform to another platfrom is not an easy task. You have to take a lift down to a subway, change to another lift to get you to the right platform. It is quite confusing I have to say. To avoid it, just book for an assistance when you buying your train tickets beforehand!


My review for Cross Country train




The train was very clean however if you are looking for space, standard class definitely be too tight for a wheelchair user. The disabled toilet was clean and spacious. I had no problem using the toilet.

The walkway is very narrow for wheelchair accessibility. I think they need to consider and redesign the walkway.




We took a taxi from Walsall station back to the hotel. We were staying for a night in Premier Inn Walsall (M6/J10). Here is my review about the hotel.




1) The corridor

It is a bit narrow. We had a problem to get pass at one stage because the housekeeping trolley at the corridor.


I was talking to my mom :)


Spacious room



2) The room

It was HUGE!!!!!!! Plenty of room to move around. It was really comfortable. I stayed in an accessible room while my personal assistance had his room next to mine. It was an adjoining room.


The room has a reasonable bedsize, television, a couch and a study table.


I was relaxing in my room watching telly while my personal assistance was relaxing in his own room. Overall, we were pleased with the hotel rooms.








3)The bathroom


It was really clean and again plenty of space to move around. The toilet is very disabled friendly and fully-equipped with disabled facilities especially for a wheelchair user.






I  do think they need some improvements at the corridor as it is just too narrow. Not forgetting, the entrance of the hotel. I don't think it is very disabled friendly because of the same reason- TOO SMALL AND NARROW!!!




Overall, I had a good time in Walsall despite all the obstacles we faced along the way.


Hope you enjoy reading my blog and have a nice day :)



Love,
Andrew




No comments:

Post a Comment