Saturday 28 May 2011

Barnes Park, Sunderland

BARNES PARK


New water fountain in the park



Beautiful garden

I was given an opportunity to visit and open the newly improved Barnes Park, Sunderland.

Another view of the park

Barnes Park reopens to the public on 21st of May 2011 after a £3.6 million overhaul, and the project included a number of benefits for people with disabilities.

A little facts about the park:

a) The park covers 14 hectares

Information board and attractions in the park


b) It attracts 120,000 visitors a year, mainly local.

The new carved seat


c) Most importantly, it is the only park in the North East equipped with disabled changing facilities.

New playground for children





My personal favourite: The echo tree. It is fantastic
 I think this park is great for families to have freedom to relax and enjoy the park. My favourite part of the park is the sensory and informal garden. I particularly enjoyed the echo tree, which took my voice and turned it into sound effects. It was AMAZING!






 


New wheelchair assessible toilet

The park has a changing place for disabled people. It means that people with wheelchair do not need to travel too far or travel back home if they need to use the toilet facilities.

 



New changing facilities in the park
I am amazed with the effort taken by the Sunderland City Council and I think it is important to include a changing place in any new development so that everyone can enjoy the same activities as others.








An artificial lake in the park. It is beautiful :-)

Other than that, there is also on-site parking space, making it easy for people with mobility problems to access the park.




 








Overall, I enjoyed my day there and I would recommend disabled people to visit the park. I am sure you will enjoy it :-)

**I even made into the local paper**






Thank you for reading :) Cheers

4 comments:

  1. Pauline Tickhill15 June 2011 at 09:25

    Thank you for the very in depth report, I feel that I would love to visit the park next time I'm visiting Sunderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing this- we'll definitely need to visit the park now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen Thompson1 July 2011 at 03:25

    Sounds great Andrew - an interesting review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I've been desperately trying to contact Alan and Pauline Tickhill for a number of years, and see they have posted here recently. Please could they contact me urgently via my website - gemmagary.co.uk
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete